Thursday, February 19, 2009

It sucks getting old

OK.. I should clarify the title. Some parts of getting old suck. I was playing basketball last night, as I normally do on Wednesday nights, and I broke for a pass and something popped in my achilles tendon. It was a rather sharp pain and when I tried to put some weight on the foot, it just wasn't there. I sat on the floor and felt my tendon to make sure I hadn't completely blown it out, and it was still intact, thank goodness. One of my friends that plays ball is familiar with this type of sports injury and said I should have it checked out by my doctor. Well, that was it for the night and I figured I had done something just because of the pop. I put some ice on it at the gym and then limped to my car to go home. It wasn't hurting terribly bad, but I continued to ice it until I went to bed. I knew it would be worse in the morning and it was. I went to my doctor and found out that I had a slight tear in my achilles, which is better than complete tear. So, I am on crutches for the next 10 days, doing some light stretching, and my doctor recommended some physical therapy, at my convienience, if I didnt think it was healing properly or the pain worsened. So, I am waiting on the therapy for a few weeks if I dont think I am healing properly. Sarah had a boot for her plantar fasciitis and he said that would be great to keep my foot imobilized at night. So, all is well, besides that, and I plan to follow doctors orders till I am healed and ready for some more ball. Have fun all!

4 comments:

Chelsea Corwin said...

This kind of reminds me of the story about you playing some form of baseball and hurting one of your internal organs when you ran into the fence??? It's been a while since that happened, but I think it was you....

Ryan said...

at least you did it playing a real sport. basketball, no shame in that. kickball?...

Tom Paul said...

Yep, Chelsea, i bruised my spleen landing on the fence, while making one of the most spectacular catches in Martinsville Church Softball history... well at least in my mind. And was it worth it.. yes, no, yes, no.. I don't know, but at least I was having fun while I was doing it.. Ha ha..
And Ryan, I would have no shame in being injured in tiddlywinks as long as I am competing to the best of my ability... ha ha.. Love ya all....

Abrah said...

I guess we will all be praying for you too! :) Take it easy old man! :) Get better!