Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cat Burglar

Did I ever mention how much I loved our cats? Well, last night adds to the love. At approximately 2am last night, our house alarm went off. It was the warning beep first that occurs when you enter 1 of 2 doors and allows you time to shut the alarm off if you don't have an alarm remote or whatever. It showed the door as being the garage entry door that leads from the garage into the house. Well, by the time I sat up from my deep slumber and figured out what was going on and had gotten to the alarm control at the entrance to our bedroom and attempted to enter the code, my 30 seconds were up and the intruder alarm went off. Now, if you have never heard this alarm, it shakes your whole body. Also, when this alarm goes off, our alarm company calls to check if everything is all right. Well, they called and I verified myself and they wanted to know if they should contact the police. Well, I asked them to hold on the line, not knowing anything to this point but that our alarm went off and there was a door open. I handed Sarah the phone and proceeded cautiously into the kitchen to check the outside door of the garage to see if it was open. It was not so we saw that the entry door previously mentioned was open and the light was on in the garage. And there in the hallway are our lovely cats. Sarah asks me if I had gone out in the garage after I had been on the computer before I went to bed and I said I had not. She said that she had put the cats out and thought that she had secured the door and she never leaves a light on. OK, my heartbeat has slowed down to a slight jog at this point, but I went out to the garage and looked around. (Don't worry all, I had a large flashlight in my hand.) Well there was nothing there and all exterior door and windows were secure. Hmmmmm... Well, so now I need to check the house. I went downstairs and all around, but nothing. During all this activity, Ella didn't even wake up and Peri, well she was right beside Sarah and me for the duration of the evening. I think I was able to finally fall asleep around 3:30. We figured that perhaps Sarah somehow didn't get the door shut all the way, which, if open enough, wouldn't have allowed me to set the alarm when I went to bed, but it is possible that as long as the sensors on the door are touched, the door doesn't have to be completely shut to register as being closed on the alarm. I tested that out this morning. Anyway, Eliza, the fat yellow cat that had the mouse adventure in a previous blog, tends to put her paws up on a door if it is slightly ajar and open them, so I am sure it was her. Now as to the mystery of how that door may have been left ajar, which Sarah may have figured out this morning on her way to school, was that Peri had left her IPOD in the car earlier in the evening and went out to get it before she went to bed, Sarah thinks after she had put the cats in the garage(Peri admits that she did this, but she said it was before the cats were out there. I'm sorry Peri, but I am going to have to vote against you on this one). So, being the preteen that she is and with the habits that she has, this definitely fits the prospective actions that she is capable of. So, there you go, another night of fun and adventure in our house. Well, all take care and get your rest because when you don't, you are tired the next day. Love you all!!

2 comments:

Abrah said...

Now seriously, you do love those cats! Afterall, what would you put on the blog if you didn't have all these cat stories! :) Way to go Peri....and I wish I could sleep like Ella!

Chelsea Corwin said...

Ha ha! That isn't funny, but it is. When Chris was gone in Florida a few weeks back I heard this terrible banging and couldn't figure out what it was. It sounded like someone was trying to come through the garage/kitchen door to get me. It took me about 25 minutes to figure out it was the washer out of balance! The dogs were going nuts and I was hysterical, so I am glad you held your composure much better than I!