Monday, March 9, 2009

Our brush with fame


Sarah asked me to share the "burden" of taking the girls shopping this weekend. How can it be a "burden" if it is something you enjoy doing?... Anyway, I got off track there.. Did I ever mention that I hate shopping... Sorry, another off track.. Anyway, we(we in this case meant me sitting in the shoe department at Dick's watching the big screen of Purdue and Michigan State, and Sarah and the girls shopping for clothes) were looking for something for Peri for her upcoming birthday, and I figured shopping wasn't all that bad at this point, until Sarah tells me I need to go with them because they were done at Dicks, and the reason at this point doesn't matter, because she is just reminding me of my second off track mentioning above. But, as we were checking out, the cashier at Dick's mentioned that Miss America was in the mall for a few more minutes. I've never met a Miss America, although I did know the 500 queen one year, a girl who graduate with me. So, we decided that we needed to have our brush with celebrity on this lovely Sunday afternoon in the Bloomington mall, outside of Target.
I think it was all just a ploy just to get me down to Target. Ha ha.. We met Miss America and she gave us all a signed photograph, and she seemed genuinely nice. There were only a few people waiting in line, so we waited like 2 minutes. We thought about having the girls pose for a xmas card photo with her, but they weren't allowing any posed pictures. So, that was our brush with fame, and I was able to snap off just some regular photos of the girls talking with her. I will add them later. So, shopping wasn't as unbearable as I thought, well, as long as you have some beautiful young lady to speak with of some fame or notoriety, besides my beautiful daughters and wife, of course. Or, you have a big screen television to watch some sporting event.

(Libby Update) This weekend, Libby got the flu and an infection in her central line. She has lost another 8 oz, and is down to 15 lbs. She was put in isolation at Riley.
Today, Libby's white blood count is at 0. They are giving her medication to get it up. The meds are making her sore, so she is not wanting to be held or touched. The white blood count needs to be up to 1000 before she can have her next chemo. treatment in a couple weeks. Emma said that they could be up there for 2-10 days.
Keep her in your prayers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have such a twist on the ordinary events in the house of my sister and nieces. "It is always something", as Gilda used to say. It was her, right? I will continue to swamp God (although that's not possible with God) with Prayer for Libby and all who love her. We love you.

Tom Paul said...

Thanks, and I believe you are right on the Gilda thing and really nothing seems ordinary in our house.. :) Love ya!